While the Red Mountain AVA might be the smallest in Washington State, the wine grown here packs a powerful punch. The region encompasses just over 4,000 acres, and 2,000 of those acres are dedicated to vineyard cultivation of primarily red varietals. Cabernet being the dominant vine, the Red Mountain AVA’s Cabernet Sauvignon’s are recognized worldwide for balance, boldness, and rich, rounded flavor.
Red Mountian wines are some of the most sought-after of Washington-produced varieties and on a getaway to Walla Walla, a day trip over to the Red Mountain AVA for wine tasting is a must. On a vineyard tour in the Red Mountain AVA, you’ll learn that it’s the combination of the sandy loess soil, low precipitation, high winds, and severe temperature swings that create the ideal growing conditions for these big, intense reds.
As a guest at our Walla Walla bed and breakfast, you’ll only be a scenic 45-minute drive from the award-winning wineries of the Red Mountain AVA. Additionally, we offer a winery tour in our luxury limo, so let us know that you’d like to explore the wine tasting options of the Red Mountain AVA and sit back and relax. The shuttle will bring you back to our Inn, where you can finish the day in one of our seven comfortable and elegant suites.
We can’t wait to host you in the New Year! Check our availability and book today.
Wine Tasting in the Red Mountain AVA near Walla Walla
One of the best things about visiting the Red Mountain AVA is the high density of wineries within a small area. When you book a luxury wine tour with Cameo Heights to the Red Mountain area, these are our favorite wineries to stop by:
- Col Solare Winery: Two master winemakers are behind this Red Mountain AVA label. Book the barrel room private tour for an in-depth look at the winemaking facility and seated wine tasting with small food pairings.
- Fidélitas: Taste through the selection of Bordeaux varietals at this Red Mountain winery. Find a shady spot in an Adirondack (made from wine barrel slates) on their outdoor patio with some of the best views of vineyards.
- Frichette Winery: This family-owned, limited production winery uses the climate of the Red Mountain AVA to produce some beautiful Washington wines. They are well-known for their bold Cabernets but be sure not to miss the Carmenere, a big, luscious red that always impresses.
- Kiona Vineyards: This longtime winery is the brainchild of two engineers turned winemakers. Planted in 1975, you’ll find traditional varietals as well as some more unusual varieties like luscious Lemberger.
- Cooper Winery: While of course, this Red Mountain Estate is worth the visit for their lovely wines, you’ll meet Bud, the wine dog and official greeter at this winery. These terroir-driven wines are bold blends and crisp whites. Be sure to pick up a bottle or two for your cellar—these are rare finds outside the Red Mountain AVA.
Luxury Lodging near Red Mountain Washington
Our premier Walla Walla bed and breakfast is the ideal lodging for your wine-focused getaway to the Red Mountain AVA. Our seven private suites are beautifully appointed with high-end amenities, luxurious spa-like bathrooms, and stunning views. After a day of drinking the bounty of Red Mountain wine, settle into Cameo Heights for a cozy night by the fire or a soak in the hot tub under the vast night sky.
Guests return year after year to our Walla Walla B&B for the impeccable service and welcoming hospitality, on-site gourmet dining at The Vine restaurant, the seasonal pool, and relaxing massages at the Country Spa. You’ll have everything you need here at our oasis in Washington wine country for a romantic and memorable getaway. Book your next stay today!