Are you planning your getaway to Walla Walla? Wondering what there is to do in Eastern Washington? We can help! Preview the many fantastic things to do in Walla Walla below. From gorgeous hiking trails to world-class wineries, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in our little slice of paradise.
For a full list of things to do in Walla Walla, download our free Vacation Guide! Inside, you’ll find our favorite restaurants, shops, museums, wineries, and more!
View all of the great things to do around Cameo Heights Mansion
Explore the Great Outdoors
With more than 337 species of birds documented within the Walla Walla region, it’s no wonder that this area is such a popular area for birdwatching! The Blue Mountain Audubon Society and the Blue Mountain Wildlife Center are both excellent resources for visiting birders. Walla Walla County’s prime spots for birding include:
- Walla Walla River Delta
- Two Rivers Habitat Management Unit
- McNary National Wildlife Refuge
- Hood Park
- Fish Hook Park
- Coppei Creek drainage
- Rooks Park
- Bennington Lake
- Fort Walla Walla Natural Area & Park
- Touchet-Gardena area
Stay active during your Walla Walla vacation! Visit any of the wonderful nearby golf courses for a day on the green. If you want to practice your swing, be sure to take advantage of the Stephen L. Petty driving range located on the mansion grounds. For a full game, book your tee time at any of the below courses:
- Canyon Lakes Golf Course
- Veterans Memorial Golf Course
- Wine Valley Golf Course
- Milton-Freewater Golf Course
Are you looking for a way to enhance your vacation? Our Golf, Stay & Play Package and a Grand Slam Romance packages with the Walla Walla Wine Valley Golf Club are just what you need to turn your getaway into the trip of a lifetime!
The picture-perfect landscape of the state of Washington, especially around Walla Walla, is bursting with gorgeous state parks and areas worth exploring. Below are a couple of excellent hiking trails around town. For a full list, check out our blog on the best hiking near Walla Walla!
- Sacagawea Heritage Trail: The Sacagawea Heritage Trail is great for both walking and biking. It connects to the Richland Riverfront Trail and the Yakima River Delta and the Columbia River Park in Kennewick. The trail ends shortly after crossing over the Pasco Cable Bridge, a fun place to take pictures as it offers panoramic views of Washington.
- McNary Wildlife Refuge: Spread across 15,000 acres, the McNary Wildlife Refuge’s location on the East bank of the Columbia River, combined with its many streams and ponds, making it the ideal environment for a variety of waterfowl. Keep your eyes peeled, and you might also catch a glimpse of some mammals as well, such as mule deer, beavers, squirrels, otters, and many more.
- Chamna Wildlife Refuge: Located near the rushing waters of the Yakima and Columbia Rivers is the Chamna Natural Preserve, a gorgeous part of Richland, Washington, that contains over 276 acres of forests and grasslands. Escape to the peaceful environment of this region to engage in a variety of different activities throughout some of Washington’s cleanest and most well-kept land.
Walla Walla offers a wide variety of bicycle trails, from comfortable rides through the beautiful countryside to adventurous journies through the more mountainous parts! Below is a preview of a couple of our favorite bicycle trails around the Walla Walla Valley.
- Kooskooskie Ride: For a real challenge, head to the rose garden in Pioneer Park and get on the Kooskooskie Ride. This loop is almost 30 miles long.
- Mill Creek: The Mill Creek trail also starts at the rose garden and lasts a little over 16 miles.
- Reser – Kendall – Cottonwood: This loop runs a little over three miles and begins near Walla Walla High School. It’s an easy, quick ride for visitors.
- Waitsburg Loop: Head to the Bicycle Barn, and enjoy 40 miles of biking.
- Wine Tour Route #1 ~ 36 miles (Click on the link to see the map.)
- Wine Tour Route #2 ~ 39.3 miles (Click on the link to see the map.)
Spend a Day on the Water
Since Cameo Heights Mansion neighbors four major riverways (Columbia River, Snake River, Yakima River, and Walla Walla River), one of the most popular local activities is spending a day on the water! There are plenty of wonderful opportunities for boating, waterskiing, jet skiing, and fishing. Whether you’re an experienced angler or you’re a beginner looking to spend a relaxing day on the water, consider booking a local fishing guide, like JB Guide Service. They’ll be able to take you to the best spots in the area and set you up for a day of fun!
Museums & Cultural Sights of Interest
History buffs should not miss the opportunity to visit some of these amazing museums.
- Franklin County Historical Museum: For a general overview of Washington state’s origins, take a visit to the Franklin County Historical Museum. This institution proudly displays a wide variety of exhibits and memorabilia that can be traced back countless years.
- Fort Walla Walla: One of the most highly esteemed Walla Walla tourist attractions, the Fort Walla Walla Museum contains all kinds of displays and artifacts that tell incredible stories of the area’s beginnings. The mission of this prestigious establishment is to preserve and share the area’s heritage with the community through their unique exhibits and eye-opening events.
- Whitman Mission National Historic Site: This monument honors the memory of two distinguished figures of the past that made a huge influence in this area of Washington.
- The Museum of Unnatural History: The Gerald Matthews Museum of Unnatural History is a rare and one-of-a-kind attraction that is filled with odd and quirky artifacts, creations, and ideas.
See a Show at a Local Theater
- Gesa Power House Theatre: The historic Gesa Power House Theatre is a world-class, 342-seat performing arts theatre located in downtown Walla Walla, Washington. The theatre stages professional productions featuring the works of William Shakespeare as well as productions devoted to classical music and popular entertainment. Learn more about the Power House Theatre here.
- The Little Theatre of Walla Walla: This fantastic venue that has been a part of the town for over 70 years and hosts countless, enthralling shows for the amusement of the community.
Explore the Walla Walla Wine Valley
Walla Walla is quickly becoming known as one of the best wine regions in the country! There are over 100 wineries within a 35-mile radius of Cameo Heights Mansion. You can learn about some of our favorites on our blog about the best Walla Walla wineries. When you’re ready to enjoy a wine tasting, you can book our Wine Tour and Shuttle Service. We can provide you with safe and secure transportation.
Enhance your stay with one of our wonderful wine packages, like the Northstar Blending Experience and Wine Tour, our Four-Hour Chauffeured Wine Tour with Picnic, or the Elite Experience for Walla Walla Wine Enthusiasts.
Enjoy Other Unique Attractions
Blue Mountain Lavender Farm: If you’re craving a trip to a truly unique attraction, you need to visit the Blue Mountain Lavender Farm in Lowden, Washington! This gorgeous farm is surrounded by rolling, purple hills of fresh lavender, which they gather every year and sell to the delighted community.
Red Mountain of Washington: If you’re visiting our particular corner of Washington state, make sure that the Red Mountain in Washington is on your list of places to see! This colossal natural wonder, named after its telltale reddish hue, contains all kinds of attractions and activities that are guaranteed to be the highlight of your trip.
What’s a vacation without the chance to treat yourself to a world-class meal? Luckily for guests staying at Cameo Heights Mansion, you won’t have to travel far. Our onsite restaurant, The Vine, is the best fine-dining establishment in Walla Walla and the Tri-Cities. The Vine specializes in a seven-course, prix-fixe service style. Each of the courses has been expertly prepared with the freshest ingredients, using local products whenever possible. Make a reservation and have the meal of a lifetime during your stay!
Are you ready to experience the many things to do in Walla Walla for yourself? Browse our luxurious suites!