The Walla Walla Balloon Stampede is an exciting and beautiful annual event that transforms the skies of Walla Walla, Washington, into a vibrant kaleidoscope of colors. This popular festival, featuring hot air balloons of all sizes and designs, has become a yearly tradition for locals and tourists alike. It’s a romantic sight to see these colorful orbs take to the skies in unison!
This year marks the 48th year of this highly anticipated event, held in the Springtime at Howard Tietan Park—though, during the weekend-long Walla Walla Balloon Stampede event, you’ll be able to catch sight of these beautiful hot air balloons from many places around Walla Walla. There are multiple events at the Stampede including “Fly Days” and “Nite Glow Spectacular.”
Before you start planning for the Walla Walla Balloon Stampede, lodging should be your first step. Thankfully, our Walla Walla Bed and Breakfast, recently voted as one of the top 10% of hotels in the country by TripAdvisor, is the perfect place to stay. You’ll have one of our romantic suites awaiting your return from watching these colorful balloons soaring through the sky. Head over to our availability calendar and get your reservation on the books today!
Plan Ahead for the Walla Walla Balloon Stampede
Washington Wine Country is known for hosting spectacular annual events, and the Walla Walla Balloon Stampede is one we look forward to all year long! This event draws people from all across the state who come to witness the magic of hot air balloons taking flight against the backdrop of Walla Walla’s picturesque landscape.
Here are a few things to know about the Walla Walla Balloon Stampede:
- This fun hot-air balloon event occurs each year in early spring, typically in May. More than 30 balloons will launch from Howard Tietan Park in Walla Walla. It’s great to head here and watch the takeoff, but you’ll have an opportunity to see these soaring orbs from many places around the area.
- A great place to watch the show is the Walla Walla Roastery in the Airport District. Or what’s better than wine tasting with a colorful view? Many of the Walla Walla wineries in the Blue Mountains offer spectacular views of the vineyards as the balloons soar high above.
- Bundle up and head to Howard Tietan Park on the Friday night of Balloon Stampede Weekend, around dusk (approximately 8:15 pm) for the Nite Glow Spectacular. It’s a sight worth seeing!
- Book your own private ride with Seattle Ballooning. While this local company offers rides all year long, soaring up into the sky during the Walla Walla Balloon Stampede is such a treat! You’ll fly beside the other vibrant balloons floating along.
- The history of the balloon festival is fascinating! It started in 1974 by a few ballooning enthusiasts and became an annual event that locals and visitors can’t wait to attend each year. You’ll even see the camaraderie for the event in downtown Walla Walla, as wineries and local companies offer specials and some even paint their windows in colorful hot air balloon designs.
Book Our Elegant Walla Walla Bed and Breakfast Today!
After a day or night watching these high-flying balloons at the Walla Walla Balloon Stampede, escape to a romantic retreat in one of our luxurious, internationally-themed suites at our Walla Walla Bed and Breakfast. You’ll feel right at home at our secluded oasis in the heart of Washington wine country for the ultimate getaway experience. Regardless of which suite you choose, you’ll be treated to exceptional service and amenities during your stay at Cameo Heights Mansion.
This begins from the moment you arrive! We’ll give you a tour of our property, which includes a fully-equipped game room, outdoor waterfall-fed pool and hot tub, on-site spa, and our very own farm-to-table restaurant, The Vine Fine Dining. While we always encourage our guests to head out and explore all of the best things to do in Walla Walla, you’ll really have everything you need on-site, so for those looking for a relaxing getaway, you’ve found it!
Each morning starts with a complimentary breakfast at The Vine with sweet and savory options, baked goods, and beverages. Enjoy your meal in the dining room or retreat to your luxurious suite, which all have tables with seating. From there, the day is yours! Book a spa treatment, explore the nearby Walla Walla wineries, and indulge. We can’t wait to host you at our Walla Walla Bed and Breakfast for the Walla Walla Balloon Stampede and beyond. Book your lodging today!