When most people imagine Washington State, they picture rainy days and cloudy skies. However, that’s not what you’ll find on the eastern side of the Cascades. Home to the majority of these Walla Walla wineries, you’ll experience much warmer weather and a drier climate—ideal for cultivating vineyards—and the main reason our area has so many unique, award-winning wines.
One of our favorite outings to suggest to our guests is a day exploring the Walla Walla wineries’ downtown tasting rooms. The main street in downtown Walla Walla is a charming tree-lined walk peppered with locally owned boutiques, restaurants, cafes, and wine tasting rooms. You can spend the afternoon popping into the shops, stopping for a flight, and having a bite to eat here and there.
Cameo Heights Mansion—the premier Walla Walla bed and breakfast—is the ideal lodging for wine tasting at the downtown Walla Walla wineries. Our location is just a scenic half-hour drive to downtown Walla Walla. Be sure to join us for breakfast before you set out! Complimentary breakfast begins at 8:00 am with our signature “Wake-Up Service” of hot coffee/beverage and fresh warm danish brought right to your door. Following one hour later in our dining room, either inside or outdoors, is the delicious multi-course breakfast at 9:00 am.
We can’t wait to host you; book today!
Check out these Downtown Walla Walla Wineries
The Walla Walla Valley keeps getting more notoriety as the years go on; most recently, it was named the best wine tasting region in the country by USA Today. It’s genuinely a well-earned recognition for our local Walla Walla wineries and the winemakers that have dedicated their lives to establishing the vines. One of the best ways to taste as much Walla Walla wine as possible is by strolling down the central street downtown.
Here are six of our favorite tasting rooms in downtown Walla Walla:
- House of Smith: Winemaker Charles Smith has made quite a name for himself in the Washington wine world. He’s the visionary behind the iconic brands: K Vinters and Substance, both of which you can have at the downtown tasting room located in a converted auto-repair warehouse.
- Goose Ridge Winery: Located right in the heart of downtown, you’ll taste some fantastic wines made from grapes grown in the Red Mountain AVA—an area home to some of the best Walla Walla wineries known for producing the finest big, bold red varietals.
- Spring Valley Vineyard: You’ll find indoor and outdoor seating at this downtown tasting room, but be sure to make a reservation. Go for the “Winemaker’s Flight,” including four red wines from their reserve collection. The tasting room is elegant, with comfy chairs and knowledgeable service members.
- Mark Ryan Winery: This classy downtown tasting room is the ideal space to taste this longtime label’s award-winning wines, including “The Dissident” and “Dead Horse.”
- Foundry Vineyards: You’ll absolutely love doing a wine tasting here, which is part winery, part sculpture garden. Find a lovely place on the patio and then peruse the grounds with local artists’ work.
- Gramercy Cellars: This is one of the Walla Walla wineries creating lower oak and lower alcohol wines, making them perfect for pairing with delicious meals. Often noted as some of the best in the state, enjoy a flight, usually consisting of five to six pours of these beautiful wines. Be sure to make an appointment beforehand!
Pro tip: Most of these Walla Walla wineries waive the tasting fee with the purchase of a bottle. It’s a great way to taste some fantastic wine and also stock your wine cellar. We’ll toast to that!
The Perfect Lodging for Exploring Walla Walla Wineries
Booking a room at Cameo Heights Mansion is one of the best things to do while vacationing in Walla Walla. You will be right in the heart of wine country and near more than 100 Walla Walla wineries, but you’ll also have access to our luxury pool and hot tub, the Country Spa for services, and an elegant meal at our on-site fine-dining restaurant, The Vine.
Each of our seven guest suites is tastefully designed after a beautiful place in the world with high-end amenities and everything you’ll want for a comfortable and relaxing stay in Walla Walla. Our welcoming hospitality and warm service are unparalleled. Join us in Washington wine country for your next getaway and book your next stay today!