The vineyards in the Red Mountains of Eastern Washington are known for producing some of the most sought-after grapes in the US. The area has a unique combination of warm weather, soil, slope, and consistent winds—and the Red Mountain wineries stand out for delicious red wine grapes. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah have earned the most spectacular acclaim over the last two decades. These wines have an exceptional balance of fruit, acidity, and tannins—creating the perfect glass of wine.
These fantastic Red Mountain wineries should be on your list for must-visit Washington wine tasting—with only about a dozen in the Red Mountain AVA but with many more on the way—it’s the perfect contained area to plan your vino-focused adventures. One of the best ways to explore the nearby Red Mountain wineries is on a curated wine tour—as a guest at our Bed and Breakfast in Walla Walla, one of the perks is our guided limousine winery tours. These excursions can be customized and generally last about four hours with a trusted driver. That way, you can sit back, relax, taste wine, and enjoy door-to-door service.
Upon return, our luxury Bed and Breakfast in Walla Walla will be waiting! Head to your spacious guest room to refresh, hit the outdoor pool and spa, or relax in one of our many shared spaces. Be sure to join us at our on-site fine dining restaurant for dinner, The Vine, for a lovely seven-course meal and a great wine list with many choices from the nearby Red Mountain wineries. You’ll be steps away from your room after your meal! We can’t wait to host you in Walla Walla; reserve your room today!
Head to These Red Mountain Wineries This Year
While the Red Mountain AVA might be the smallest in Washington State, the wine grown here is bold yet delicate. The region covers about 4,000 acres, and around half are dedicated to cultivating red varietals. Cabernet is the dominant vine at these Red Mountain wineries— the Red Mountain AVA’s Cabernet Sauvignon’s are recognized worldwide for balance, boldness, and rich, rounded flavor. You’ll love the crisp, white wines too!
Here are the top 10 Red Mountain wineries to visit this year:
- Col Solare Winery: Two master winemakers are behind the beautiful wines here. As one of the most recognized Red Mountain wineries, you’ll want to reserve the barrel room private tour for an in-depth look at the winemaking facility and seated wine tasting with snack pairings.
- Fidélitas: It’s all about the Bordeaux varietals at this Red Mountain winery and beautiful outdoor space. Find a shady spot in an Adirondack (made from wine barrel slates) on their outdoor patio with a stunning view.
- Frichette Winery: This family-owned, smaller production winery is well-known for its bold Cabernets, but don’t miss the Carmenere, a big, luscious red that always impresses and stands out in a tasting.
- Kiona Vineyards and Winery: From the mind of two engineers turned winemakers, you’ll find an exciting array of red varietals to try at this Red Mountain winery. Not only do they make and bottle their own wine, but many local wineries source their fruit from these growing masters.
- Terra Blanca Winery: Perched on the southwest slope of the Red Mountains, this family-owned winery is Tuscan-inspired with a beautiful tasting room, cave barrel room, and rolling acres of white and red varietals.
- Cooper Winery: While of course, this Red Mountain Estate is worth the visit for its lovely wines, you’ll meet Bud, the wine dog and official greeter at this winery. These terroir-driven wines are bold blends and crisp whites. This is one of the Red Mountain wineries that you’ll rarely find outside AVA, so grab a bottle or two for your cellar.
- Hedges Family Estate: The motto at this winery in the Red Mountain AVA is “where soil meets soul.” This family-owned and operated space is certified organic, creating wines using biodynamic parameters. They encourage you to create your own flight or order a glass to enjoy on the picturesque estate.
- Hightower Cellars: You’ll find beautiful indoor and outdoor spaces to taste these hand-crafted wines at Hightower. They offer wine flights, glass pours, or bottle purchases. Don’t miss the new menu of wine-worthy bites!
- Hamilton Cellars: This is one of the Red Mountain wineries that took home the “Winemaker of the Year” honor at the Seattle Wine Awards last year. Their hilltop winery in Benton City is an excellent stop on your wine tasting adventures!
- Upchurch Vineyard: During a tasting here, visitors will “Learn the story behind the winery’s inception, about the art on each label, and why Red Mountain is considered one of the best AVAs on the west coast.” And enjoy one of the most stunning views!
As a guest at our luxury Bed and Breakfast in Walla Walla, we’re more than happy to offer advice on itineraries for tastings at these Red Mountain wineries; feel free to ask any of our warm and welcoming staff members.
Book Your Room at Our Bed and Breakfast in Walla Walla
As the premier Bed and Breakfast in Walla Walla, our spectacular Mansion is the ideal lodging for your wine-focused getaway to the Red Mountain wineries. After a day of exploring the bounty of Red Mountain AVA, settle into Cameo Heights for a cozy night by the fire or a soak in the hot tub under the vast night sky. Our Bed and Breakfast in Walla Walla features seven spacious, elegantly themed suites with private bathrooms complete with air-jetted tubs, separate showers, gas fireplaces, and much more.
You’ll feel a world away, either in the beautiful Spanish countryside or on an escape to the South of France! Each suite sets the tone for a relaxing and rejuvenating getaway to Washington wine country. More often than not, our guests return year after year to our Bed and Breakfast in Walla Walla for the impeccable service and welcoming hospitality, on-site farm-to-table dining at The Vine restaurant, our refreshing seasonal pool, and relaxing massages at the Country Spa at the Mansion. You also don’t have to be a guest to enjoy our pool, spa, and restaurant—so come join us for a day visit!
For those heading to Walla Walla with a romantic getaway in mind, our resort is the perfect place for couples to experience one-on-one time. You can spend your days exploring the beautiful valleys and vineyards nearby and enjoy the most restful evenings on our property. You’ll have everything you need right here at our oasis in Washington wine country for a romantic and memorable getaway. Check out the upcoming availability at our Bed and Breakfast in Walla Walla today. Book your room!