Hiking through the picturesque countryside of this region of Washington State is a beloved activity. Along these hikes near Walla Walla, one can discover delightful vineyards, historic orchards, expansive fields of wheat, and challenging mountainous landscapes. There’s a path for every skill level and experience; whether you’re looking for a leisurely stroll or a rigorous challenge, there’s a lovely selection of hikes near Walla Walla fit for every style of outing and adventure.
Heading out for a hike is such a lovely addition to any getaway. It brings you closer to nature, connects you to the countryside, and relaxes your mind and body. With so many trails, parks, wilderness areas, and hikes near Walla Walla, narrowing down the best to add to your itinerary can be challenging. One thing is for sure, when you stay at our top-rated bed and breakfast in Washington State, you’ll be more than excited to get back to your comfortable guest suite and into our beautiful outdoor pool oasis.
Cameo Heights Mansion is one of the best places to stay in Walla Walla. In fact, our property was just awarded the Traveler’s Choice Award and landed in the top ten percent of the highest-rated hotels in the world! These rankings all come from reviews and personal stories from past guests, so you can trust that when you choose to stay with us, you’ll have luxurious accommodations, high-end amenities, and welcoming and personable service. Check out our upcoming availability and book your stay today!
A Selection of our Favorite Hikes Near Walla Walla
There’s a fantastic selection of hikes near Walla Walla. As a guest at our bed and breakfast in Washington State, you’ll be about an hour or so from these natural areas, preserves, and historical landmarks. While Palouse Falls State Park is a bit further out, about an hour and a half, the trails and waterfall are well worth the drive.
Here are eight areas for fantastic hikes near Walla Walla to explore this summer and fall:
- Palouse Falls State Park: Located in Starbuck, Palouse Falls State Park is the perfect day trip for guests who want to go on a waterfall hike. This park is named after the Palouse Indians who once lived on these lands. Today, guests can kayak along the Palouse River or swim at the base of the falls. If you’re up for a hike, walking to the top of the falls for an outstanding view is well worth it.
- Badger Mountain: is just outside Richland, WA, about 40 minutes from our luxury Bed and Breakfast, and a popular place for hikes near Walla Walla. Sage Brush, native grasses, and wildflowers cover the hills of the desert landscape. There are five main trails here, varying in length and difficulty—depending on elevation gain. But expect that all of the routes have incredible views.
- Bennington Lake: This beautiful lake area in Walla Walla features more than 20 miles of trails. The Whitetail Trail is almost five miles and winds along the west side of the lake, and the Meadowlark Trail, more than two miles, follows closely by the lake. Hikers love the fantastic lake breezes, which cut through the warmth of Walla Walla’s spring and summer months.
- Rooks Park: Just near Bennington Lake, this 18-acre plot is a perfect spot for a picnic and to take a break after exploring the best hikes near Walla Walla.
- The McNary Wildlife Refuge: The preserved area features excellent hikes near Walla Walla. It contains a self-guided loop with a great view of the thousands of birds who call the refuge home. The course is reasonably flat, easily accessible, and follows the Walla Walla River, making it an excellent option for a stroll.
- Hanford Reach National Monument: This interesting area is located near Richland and is a preserved piece of nature quintessential to Central Washington. Within the park, you’ll find the White Bluffs, a 10-mile round-trip hike with ancient formations and features established millions of years ago.
- Hat Rock State Park: Thanks to Walla Walla’s proximity to Washington’s southern border, visitors to Cameo Heights Mansion can enjoy some Oregon parks as well! Hat Rock State Park has some great hikes near Walla Walla and was one of the first landmarks noted by Lewis and Clark and one of the few sites that they visited still accessible today. Aside from the gorgeous view of the rocks, you can enjoy access to the onsite lake, a sand volleyball court, and picnic tables.
- Whitman Mission National Historic Site: From hiking trails, historical monuments, and glimpses into the past, this local site in Walla Walla is an excellent place to stretch your legs and learn more about the area’s history.
One of the Highest Rated Bed and Breakfasts in Washington State
Once you’ve finished exploring the great hikes near Walla Walla, WA, return to one of the best bed and breakfasts in Washington State for a night in luxury. Our opulent Italian Suite (pictured above) is decorated in warm tones, with a king bed covered in luxurious sheets. A soak in the two-person, air-jetted tub is the perfect way to end a day of exercise! The room also comes with beautiful panoramic garden views through a set of French doors that open up and bring in the fresh air.
All of our suites are beautifully designed and cater to couples looking to rekindle, relax, and relish their time together in Walla Walla. We also have a few other on-site perks that you won’t find at other lodging options in the area. Our outdoor pool area is ideal for sunny summer days and warm fall afternoons. The Country Spa at the Mansion is perfect for couples’ massage and beauty treatments. The Vine Fine Dining is also a spectacular farm-to-table restaurant for romantic dinners with seasonal produce and local proteins.
There’s no better place to unwind and relax; you don’t have to take our word for it. Our luxury bed and breakfast in Washington State, Cameo Heights Mansion, has more than 600 five-star reviews on TripAdvisor, placing us in the top ten percent of hotels worldwide! It’s an honor to have so many glowing reviews, and it makes our job in hospitality so pleasurable. Check out our upcoming availability and book your room today!